TJ McConnell Player Bio:
Height, Weight: 6′-1″, 185 lbs
Background: Attended Chartiers HS in Pittsburgh, PA.
Year, Age: Will be a junior with two years of eligibility in the 2013-14 season, turns 20 years old on 3/25/12.
Stats (soph. year per game averages): 11.4 pts, 4.4 reb, 5.5 ast, 2.6 to, 2.8 stl, 50.9% fg, 43.2% 3pt fg, 83.6% ft,.
Accolades: Atlantic 10 conference Rookie of the Year as a freshman (’10-’11), CollegeInsider.com Freshmen All-American (’10-’11), A-10 All-Conference team (’11-’12)
Much more info found here.
Three Reasons why this transfer makes perfect sense:
1. McConnell and Miller attended high schools (Chartiers Valley and Blackhawk, respectively) that are 45 minutes away from each other on the I-376 E.
2. McConnell and Miller are both coach’s sons which means that they share high basketball IQs, something the Arizona program is really lacking right now.
3. With Josiah Turner’s imminent departure, Arizona desperately needs a PG and McConnell is looking for to play on a bigger stage which the Pac-12 provides.
Three reasons why this transfer doesn’t make sense:
1. The A-10 isn’t the Pac-12. I know his stats look nice but no matter how “down” the Pac-12 is, it’s always going to be much tougher competition that what the A-10 has to offer.
2. That 6′-1″ listing seems generous. Watching his highlight films, he looks more like 5′-11″. His various HS recruiting bios from Rivals and ESPN list him at 5′-8″ and 5’9″, respectively, so that lack of size could be a problem in a more talented, more physical environment.
3. He’s not available until the Fall of 2013. Arizona needs PG help now so why wait it out for a guy who may or may not contribute?
In all honesty, the reasons I listed in favor of him coming to Arizona are a lot stronger than the reasons I listed against the possibility. So sign him up and GO CATS!!!