This week I talked to editor of the Husky Haul, Mark Knight, about Washington’s upcoming football season. Will the Huskies continue to grow as a solid contender in the Pac-12, or will they take a step backwards? Can they handle life without Chris Polk? I asked Mark to find out:
1. Who are the most dangerous returning players on offense?
-Keith Price is the most notable. Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Kasen Williams are impressive true sophomores and both will make a huge impact in the offense next season.
2. Who are the most dangerous returning players on defense?
-The defense needed a mammoth re-tooling and thus it is hard to predict who will be the most dangerous returning player in the new system. Desmond Trufant is the Senior that will be an anchor in the secondary. Sean Parker is the most talented though, he is a ball-hawk with tremendous speed.
3. Which freshman player do you expect to make the most impact right out of the gate?
-Shaq Thompson will play on the defensive side right out of the gate and will make a HUGE difference on the team. Coach Sark also plans to use him on offense in special packages because of his ability on that side too. He is a play-maker and a difference-maker wherever he is on the field.
4. Which player from last year will the team miss the most?
-Chris Polk. It will be interesting to watch who emerges as the new starting tailback. Bishop Sankey may be the fan favorite because of his speed and his youth but don’t rule out Jesse Callier or Deontae Cooper as the new starter.
5. What is one major aspect of your team’s gameplan that you expect to be different from last year?
The defense. The whole scheme will be different and rightly it should be.
6. What is your biggest concern heading in to the season?
Depth on the offensive line is a big concern and it would be nice to see more out of the linebackers.
7.What game are you most excited about and why?
The game at LSU. That will be a measuring stick for this team. If it is close or by some miracle they win, this season could be a big one for the Huskies. If it is a blow-out, it shows there is a long ways to go.
8. What is the overall expectation of how this team should finish?
Another bowl and near the top in the Pac-12.