There were no legitimate surprises this week, so the stories for the most part stay the same:
1. Oregon (6-0) Last week’s position: 1
At #2 in the nation and on their bye week, Oregon remains the team to beat. They prepare for ASU next week.
2. Oregon State (5-0) Last week’s position: 2
If the loss of quarterback Sean Mannion was devastating to Oregon State, the Beavers surely aren’t skipping any beats. Backup quarterback Cody Vas threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs. The Beavers cruise past BYU, 42-24.
3. USC (5-1) Last week’s position: 3
The #13 Trojans were up 24-7 at halftime, and though they didn’t score in the second half, it didn’t matter. USC’s defense would only allow one more touchdown for a 24-14 victory.
4. Stanford (4-2) Last week’s position: 4
After putting up over 50 points against a poor Arizona defense, #17 Stanford could only muster 13 points against #7 Notre Dame. The Irish would score a touchdown in overtime and hold the Cardinal at the goal line for a nail-biting victory.
5. UCLA (5-2) Last week’s position: 6
UCLA produced a well balanced offense (171 yards on the ground and 183 in the air) and scored 21 points to defeat Utah at home.
6. Arizona State (5-1) Last week’s position: 7
Though the Devils have yet to play a solid Pac-12 foe, it is hard to ignore their record. The next four games (Oregon, UCLA, Oregon State, USC) should tell us a lot about this team.
7. Washington (3-3) Last week’s position: 5
Not a lot of games will be won when your team coughs up 4 turnovers and allows a blocked punt to go for a touchdown. Add the fact that USC is your opponent and you might as well throw in the towel. The Huskies beat themselves.
8. Arizona (3-3) Last week’s position: 8
Arizona gets a much needed bye week after losing 3 games in a row. A victory against the Huskies next week would be refreshing.
9. California (3-4) Last week’s position: 9
Cal cruises past Washington State, 31-17.
10. Utah (2-4) Last week’s position: 10
Utah made the game interesting against UCLA with a late 4th quarter score to bring it within a touchdown, but couldn’t pull it out. Utah has yet to produce a game on the ground that goes for 100+ yards.
11. Washington State (2-5) Last Week’s position: 11
The Cougars continue to struggle putting up any points in their pass heavy offense.
12. Colorado (1-5) Last week’s position: 12
No surprise here, as the Colorado Buffaloes get thrashed by ASU following their bye week.