When talking about some of the best college basketball programs in the country, Arizona is arguably the nation’s best kept secret over the last 25+ years. A few days removed from the 2014 NBA Draft, it’s given us some time to reflect upon the greatness of the Arizona Basketball program Lute Olsen built. In case you’ve been living under a rock, Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Aaron Gordon was selected by the Orlando Magic with the 4th overall pick, meanwhile Pac-12 Player of the Year, Nick Johnson, was selected by the Houston Rockets with the 42nd overall pick on Thursday night.
With Sean Miller carrying the torch, having Aaron Gordon and Nick Johnson head to the NBA only makes recruiting easier. Not only has Miller had a top 6 recruiting class each of the last four years, but he’s produced five NBA draft picks during that same span. As if Miller needs any accolades to back up his success at Arizona, ESPN’s Jeff Goodman ranked Miller as the 5th best recruiter in the nation behind John Calipari, Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self and Roy Williams – arguably the best four in the business. If you’re wondering as to how he was ranked 5th, he’s earned the commitment from the #1 California recruit each of the last four years (Josiah Turner, Grant Jerrett, Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson), landing a total of eight 5-star recruits since 2011. Oh, and Sean Miller also just won a gold medal as the assistant coach for USA Basketball’s U18 team, stacked with the top 12 recruits in the country.
Some fast facts for you and/or any potential recruits out there
- 10 of the last 12 first round picks from Arizona have been in the lottery
- Arizona has had at least one pick in 22 of the last 27 drafts
- Arizona has had multiple picks in 18 drafts
- Arizona has had four draft picks in the past two years, tied for 2nd in the nation
- Arizona has had five draft picks since 2011, tied for 8th in the nation
- Arizona has had 17 first round picks since 1988, ranked 6th in the nation
And last but certainly not least.
Tags: Arizona Wildcats