Following another solid year for Arizona Athletics, the Wildcats have clinched a Territorial Cup Series victory over rival Arizona State.
Winning is sweet, it is even sweeter when it comes at the expense of your bitter rivals! And last weekend as Arizona Athletics was in Walnut, California for the Pac-12 Track and Field Championship, the Wildcats secured yet another Territorial Cup Series victory.
Clinching the annual series with an 11-10 victory over the Sun Devils, the Wildcats were able to make this happen as the Men and Women’s track and field teams finished ahead of ASU at the Pac-12 Championships, placing fifth and 10th respectively.
With the score becoming too close for comfort, this weekend’s action set up a big opportunity for Arizona Athletics at the Pac-12 Championships.
The Arizona Men’s team won three different events which included Jordan Geist winning the hammer throw and shot put and Jared O’Riley in the javelin as they earned a fifth-place finish with 76 points.
As for the Women, Talie Bonds won the 100m hurdles and also added a podium finish in the high jump that allowed Arizona to place 10th with 39 points, edging the Sun Devils by eight points.
Here’s a recap of how our Wildcats earned the 11 points needed to clinch the Territorial Cup:
- Arizona Men & Women’s Cross Country earned two points with a 7th and 9th place finish, edging ASU. (2)
- Arizona Football earned a point after their 38-35 win over ASU in November. (3)
- Arizona Volleyball earned a half-point after beating ASU 3-2 in Tempe. (3.5)
- Arizona Basketball earned a half-point with their 69-60 win over ASU in Tempe. (4)
- Arizona Women’s Basketball earned a point after sweeping the regular-season series over the Sun Devils in 2022-23. (5)
- Arizona Women’s Indoor Track and Field earned a point after beating ASU at the Pac-12 Championship. (6)
- Arizona Softball earned another point after beating ASU in two of their three games in Tempe. (7)
- Arizona Women’s Golf earned a point after beating ASU at the Pac-12 Championship. (8)
- Men’s Tennis earned another point when they beat ASU 4-2 in Tempe in April. (9)
- Arizona clinched their Territorial Cup win after the Men and Women’s track and field teams finished ahead of ASU at the Pac-12 Championships. (11)
Together, it was a complete effort that helped propel the Cats to finishing with the Territorial Cup Series win! And with the victory, this is the third time in the last four years that Arizona will be bringing home the hardware!